Friday, January 23, 2009

Are we out of our minds? Pretty Much!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008


The BMW Project!
Current mood: jubilant
Category: Automotive


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



If you've been around me at all the past year, you've heard me talk about the 24 Hours of Lemons...an endurance race for $500 clunker cars. Some friends did it last season & I've been inspired to build a car for it, too. The intent is to put together a team of friends and go run the 2009 edition of the race in South Carolina.

I've spent the last couple months searching for a good car; the requirements were pretty easy: manual transmission, rear wheel drive, something with personality. So, I've been looking at things like old RX7s, old Volvos, old Fiats, old Pontiac Fieros...you see where I'm going with this. I even went to check out a mid '70's Datsun 710 that had been living it's life as a dirt oval race car (it was HAMMERED!).

Well, I found it. The one. Bought it yesterday. Mrs Hammer doesn't seem to think I'm a total moron with this one, either (that means there's support in the house, yes!). It's an '83 BMW 320i. I actually had an '81 320i back in MI as a Winter Beater so the car isn't totally foreign to me; I've had some experience with them. The plan is to gut it down to the bare minimum, weld in a roll cage, refurbish the thing & go racing!

Want more photos? Click the pic above to get the whole album. Wanna help the team out? Drop me a line.

Game on!