Friday, January 23, 2009

Making Lemon-Aid (sic!) Update

We need your help! I'll tell you about it in a minute...but first...



Is hydraulic fluid bad for your eyes? Work continues on the BMW to turn it into a racecar; today's job; rear brakes. I'd never done drum brakes before today...and I'm not exactly sure they're on right...but, they're on the car. Trouble came calling a couple times; the shoes I got weren't exactly the same as the ones on the car...oh, they were close, but for some reason 2 of them needed at bit of grinding to fit properly. Once done, everything went back together well.



Then I had to bleed the system. Now, my buddy Jim (who says he's joined the team...yeah, he's another of "us")...Jim has this pressure bleeder thing; like a garden sprayer with some fancy bits added on...it pressurizes the brake & clutch system so you can force new fluid through it without 2 or 3 people lending a hand. Perfect! Except... Just as I was directly under the center of the car bleeding the clutch slave cylinder, the seal let loose on the master cylinder up above me...which leaked...square onto my face. I rinsed it out immediately & it appears my vision is fine, but if you've ever wondered how caustic hydraulic fluid is, go pour some on your neighbor's truck (do it late at night...and don't get caught).



Quite a few folks have said "Hey Hammer, that car looks too nice for the Lemons race...and using the 30/30 rule I'd say you're right (30/30 = Looking decent from 30 feet at 30 mph). I finally got a good shot of the hood to show how bad the paint is. And the right rear shot shows the rust in the window opening. The floor of the driver's side has some rust too...although it's just on the surface.

Up next; flush the fuel system & try again to get this beast to run.

Now...how can YOU help US? We need a theme. Teams in this race have themes; "Busted Knuckles Racing" or "Surrender Monkeys" (both real teams!). There's probably a play on "BMW" somewhere. Or, things you'd make fun of with a BMW; Members Only jackets, Izod polos with starched collars, divorced MILFS...

C'mon, you know you've got something smartassed in your brain...let'er fly here. Post it all! What is our theme? 4 guys, a BMW, tight budget...